Thursday, December 1, 2011

baking bread

Not to toot my own horn, but TOOT TOOT! I made this bread. Yep, baked it entirely from scratch (well I didn't mill my own flour). Isn't it gorgeous? You want to know what is even better? It was so easy. Seriously the easiest bread I've ever made.

I'm pretty sure I'm the last person in the world to discover this recipe, but I'm going to share it anyway. It's the NY Times No Knead Bread and it's pretty no fail.
Basically you mix:

3 cups of flour
1/3 tsp active yeast (recipe calls for 1/4 tsp instant yeast)
1 1/4 tsp salt

Then you stir in
1 5/8 cup water
and mix it all up and pop it in a bowl. The recipe says to let it rise for 18+ hours, but I started it super late and only let it rise for 4 (stuff does rise faster at a high altitude). When it gets all bubbly you know it's risen enough. Then you dust it with more flour, fold it like an envelope and pop it in a bowl to rise some more (I let it rise an hour). Preheat your oven AND your pan and then I baked it at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, then take the lid off and bake until it's nice and brown.
The key is baking it in a closed container. I used my le creuset - you want to make sure that whatever you use has a lid and can stand up to the high heat.
Voila! It was seriously the easiest thing I've ever baked and it tasted amazing!!



1 comment:

Lillian said...

That loaf is perfect!! YUM to fresh bread:)